In 1910 Sir R.D.D. Mc Lean, owner of the historic Maraekakaho sheep station, made land available for construction a “Manse” for their Presbyterian minister, in what is now the village of Maraekakaho. A fine colonial home as considered befitting the status of the Presbyterian Church and its minister was built and occupied by the Rev Mr Catherwood.
In 1930 Maraekakaho Station was subdivided and dispersed by auction. About that time it is understood that “The Manse” also was sold and moved by its new owners on rollers towed by traction engines to a new and elevated position on a small elevated hillside terrace overlooking the village. The new site was chosen for its quite magnificent panoramic vistas over the village, the Ngarurora River and the beautiful Hawke’s Bay rural countryside for many miles through to the distant Ruahine and Kaweka Mountains.
Today these wonderful vistas are accentuated by the vineyards that have been developed in recent years, benefiting from the Districts ideal soils and Mediterranean climate. Gary and Dietske, The Manse’s current owners, transformed the home into true luxury lodge that can only be found in Hawke’s Bay.
T: +64 6 874 9625
M: +64 21 0228 8261 email@example.com
3519 State Highway 50 or 3519 SH 50